10.18.2008

Friendship Bread

Have you ever tasted the sweetness of Amish friendship bread?  It smells delicious in the oven and when it's finally done it's hard to not take a fork immediately to it!  
It makes 4 "starter" bags with each 2 loaves of bread.  The bags are for your friends- hence the name.  I'm on my 3rd round of friendship bread and sadly, I'm almost out of friends to share it with!  haha!  
Anyway, I was thinking about add-in's, you know, like chocolate chips or bananas.  I wondered if anyone else had any ideas.  It's a sweet bread already, but maybe some swirls of chocolate would be yummy. . Chime in if you think of any or if you want to be my next friend to pass to.  ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you add in some pumpkin puree and spices to make a pumpkin bread? Or maybe some applesauce and apple chunks? Or toffee pieces....

:)

Katie said...

ooh- love your ideas! I def. will try the pumpkin additions this time around. .

Our life.... said...

uhhh...we are your friends ;)

btw, love the names you suggested on my sister's blog ;)

Betsy, Eric, and Sophia said...

I love the pumpkin idea! I usually make it into 'cinnamon bread', adding a healthy dose right into the bread, but then also coating the loaf pans with some sugar and cinnamon so it creates this wonderful, yummy outside to each slice. Its really tasty. PS I love friendship bread!!
Also, did you know that the bread freezes really well? AND the starter freezes really well! I am all about the freezer, can you tell? :) But seriously, you measure out and freeze 1 c. of starter in a ziploc bag and then when you want to bake, you just thaw that bag (bring it to room temp) and use as normal.

Katie said...

thanks girls! I'll be seeing you soon. . .with a starter bag of friendship bread :)

and Betsy- you are all about the freezer and I love it!