a well-meaning person made a very hurtful comment today that has left me feeling very sad. the conversation went something like this:
'I didn't know you were expecting.'
Me: I didn't either- we got a phone call in January and 10 days later, Zach was born!
'Wow'
Me: Yeah- it was crazy. I was able to be in the delivery room and everything. We drove 20 hours to Kansas to be there.
'That's really special. I'm glad that, you know, he's from here.' (Pause while I am processing!!!)
'There's a family at church that's gathered their family from all over the world.' (note a disapproving tone)
Me: Mmm, well I don't think any baby is more special than another, no matter where they're from.
'Yes, but there's plenty of children in our own backyard that need a home. No need to go across the world to get one.'
Me: Well, we may go across the world for #2 and 3- you never know!
and then we moved on to a different topic. . .
Does your heart hurt too? As if one child is more worthy of adopting because they live in the US and are 'in our backyard?' A orphan is an orphan and every last one of them need a forever family.
I know some people feel this way but it just doesn't make sense. I'm at a loss for how to respond when confronted with this thought process. . . .
It's got me thinking and praying today.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing Katie. I'm sorry that person was so rude, however it sounds like your responses were great!
Post a Comment