4.17.2012

A Day in the Life - 2012

I've read a few of these before and think it's a fun idea.  The idea of re-reading this a year from now or even 6 months from now is fun too.  Plus, often I get to the end of my day and wonder what the heck I've done!
Here's a glimpse into our daily life. :)

6am. alarm rings to wake us.  I lay there another 5 minutes of so before pushing myself up.  I need to get moving because I'm watching Anna today and she'll be here before 7.  I need to be dressed and ready!
6:25. Sit down with Jesus Calling and enjoy the quiet.
6:40 Anna arrives, Josh is downstairs starting his breakfast and I'm working on prepping dinner.
6:55ish. We hear Zach waking up!  He's slept in today and I've got a fun surprise for him (Anna) when I open his bedroom door.  He loves her.  :)  He greets her with a smile, stands up and holds out his hand to touch her.
7:00 After a diaper change, we all go downstairs to start breakfast ourselves.
7:45 Josh leaves for work and the kids are done eating.  I let them down to go play and I finish up my coffee and eggs.
8:30  Anna is complaining of a stinky diaper on Zachary and wouldn't you know- she's right.  We take care of that and head downstairs to dance in the living room.  I have a small but great collection of preschool music.
9:00 Zach is watching us with a spaced out look on his face.  I decide to try a nap.
9:15 Anna and I bake some banana muffins in mini-muffin tin while Zach plays in his crib and ultimately decides he'd rather stay awake.
9:45. We get him from his crib and dress for walking.
10:00 Josh took my car today with my stroller in the trunk.  It'll be a short walk with Zach on foot, but we attempt it anyway.  The weather is gorgeous- sunny with a nice breeze- mid- 70's.  Anna notices little flowers along the way and Zach stares at airplanes flying overhead and neighbors mowing their lawns.  He falls a few times but gets right up again.
10:30 We're back at our home and the kids play in the backyard.  Anna pretends to be Rapunzel and calls for a Prince to save her.  Zach goes over initially, but isn't interested in being a Prince.  :)  He's more interested in the stairs- climbing up and trying to walk down.
11:00 We're back inside and the kids go to town on the banana mini muffins.  I cut them off after 2 each because lunch is coming soon enough!  :)
11:30 I sit them down to an early lunch.  Zach isn't very hungry, though he has his choice of strawberries, pinapple, banana and cheese.  He has a pretzel and some strawberries.
11:45 Kids are down and playing again.  I read to Anna while Zach plays with the shop-vac Josh left out.
12:20 Zach needs another diaper change (his 4th) and it seems like a good time to settle him down for a nap.  As soon as I close the blinds, his head hits my shoulder.  He's ready and so snuggly. :)  I kiss him, sign for him to sleep and lay him down.
12:30 When Zach sleeps, Anna has 'rest time' so I get her settled with a book of her choice, a pillow and a blanket.
1:00 All is quiet and I do computer work.  Balancing the household budget, responding to emails, starting this post, etc.
2:00 Lay down for a quick snooze myself.  Loooving that the kids are sleeping at the same time!
2:40 Zach starts to stir... I grab a bottle and head up the stairs, pausing to check on Anna who is just opening her eyes.  She follows me upstairs to get Zach.
3:10 The kids are happy to play in Zach's bedroom, but I'm ready to move on.  We go downstairs and have a quick snack- smoothie and some fruit.
3:45 Anna says her tummy hurts because she needs fresh air. :)  Can't argue with that- I make sure everyone has shoes on and we go outside.  Running around, tossing bean bags in the hole and watering flowers are some of the activities that keep me busy.  Anna is still looking for a Prince Charming to rescue her, but again, Zach is not interested. :)
4:20 The kid's faces are flushed and I think it's time to head inside and cool off.  We read books and play quietly in the play room.
4:40 Anna's Dad picks her up and Zach and I continue to hang out.  Here's when I check my email again and do some web-surfing.
5:10 We start a video chat with Papa and Nana.  They are amazed at how big Zach looks and how mobile he is.  Zach's cousin Noah is the same age, but bald and not walking yet.  Zach loves watching his Papa and Nana and shows off a bit by talking to them, clapping and smiling.
5:20 Dada is home!  We continue our video chat
5:40 Video chat has ended and I start making a salad and ask Josh to start the grille.  (grilled chicken over a large salad is tonight's meal)
6:30 Dad and Zach are outside playing and dinner is almost done.  I've been inside enjoying the quiet and also enjoying the sounds of my 2 favorite boys outside.
6:45 We enjoy a meal as a family, but Zach's not really interested in eating.  Instead, he's down and running around.
7:00 I leave Zach with Josh and begin to get ready.  I've got a coffee date with my girlfriend and need to freshen up.
7:20 I kiss my boys goodnight and head out for coffee and a sweet treat!  Josh takes care of bedtime and dinner clean up.  <3
7:35 Betsy and I visit and catch up on all the Lord's been doing.  Serious discussion about Peeta and Gale (The Hunger Games); silly stories about our sweet babies; and bragging about husbands can be overheard.
9:40 I'm heading to Colleen and Mike's to pick up a CD of photos from a recent diaper shoot.  :)  We visit till 10:40- so late for me!  and late for them too!
11- it's late, but the house is quiet.  I take the opportunity to talk with my graphic designer who is AMAZING about how to add a page to my website, editing slides, etc.
12- crash!!! :)

Whew!  It's always fun to think about attempting this- journaling an entire day- and not knowing what your day will end up looking like!

2 comments:

Betsy, Eric, and Sophia said...

Loved reading this post! Whew! You are a busy proverbs 31 woman!! Thanks again for the coffee date, sweet treat, and meaningful conversation! <3

Jessica said...

So fun!!! Loved reading it! Cute pics of Zach too!