6.06.2010

Vinny

Vinny's relapsed. It's gone from bad to worse.
His mother posted yesterday afternoon, and her words were moving.

/////////
I took a 2 hour break yesterday from the hospital, when Charlie stayed with Vinny. Charlie does not sleep there at all because he works so hard... and he has to take care of Desi, and Vinny wants me at night, and I needed a break before I bit someone's head off.... so I went to the nearby mall for lunch yesterday for 2 hours.... and I ate a bit and I wandered the mall and I got confused. I remembered Vinny's "Fake Life" and got confused at "Fake Life" and "Real Life". People were shopping for strange high heeled freaky shoes... they were laughing and eating and trying on earrings... and I wondered if they had a clue. Were they in Fake Life or was I in Fake Life? Which one was real? The one where you can shop for clothes and giggle with friends, or the one where you are counting the mintues to get back to the hospital around the corner where your son lays dying... Where would I wear high heeled freaky shoes? Could I laugh and try on silly dresses? No.... I had to go take over the care of my son at the hospital so my husband could watch my daughter. I went to Cinnabon, where I had a coupon for a free Cinnabon pastry... I ordered a coffee and free Cinnabon pastry, but when I gave the coupon over, the guy at the register said "I never saw this coupon before." I said I got it at the hospital (omitted the fact that I can't remember when I got it for a free Cinnabon). He said "Are you a Nurse?" I said "NO. My son is there and I have to get back." He said "Why?" I said "He has cancer." He said "Is he okay?" I said "No. He is dying". I usually say he is fine. I could not lie... it turned out that his Aunt just passed last month of Colon Cancer, and he handed me the coffee and bun and told me it was all free. I said he did not have to do that... and he insisted... but questioned to use my free coupon snapped something in me that I could not hide the truth. And it reminded me that everyone has been touched by this stupid disease, whether it is your brother, your husband... your Mother, your son, your daughter, your grandchild.... it is all the same. I actually threw away the coffee and the cinnabon bun is sitting on the counter here... after all of that I could not down either one.
//////

If you would like to read more, their caring bridge site is: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/vinnydigerolamo
It's tough reading and the details are graphic and very real.
Please pray for this family.

No comments: