9.22.2011

Growing up with Adoption


My parents blessed me with many things in my lifetime.  
Thanks Mom for the slender arms, the love of family and the crooked nose. 
Thanks Dad for the humor, the straight teeth and the athletic ability.  
One of the most precious being my brothers and sisters.  I grew up as the oldest of 6 kids.  My mother birthed four kids in four years.  Let that one sink in. . .

Then, Kevin came home and later, Michael came home.  They were born in Nicaragua and became brothers in America.

Kevin Jose Louis Robert
Michael Carlos Antonio

Adoption was a natural thing in our home.  I was 8 or 9 when Kevin came home and 10?? when Michael arrived.  Kevin was 3 when he came home and Michael was 5 (or 6??).  It was an adventure getting to know them, acclimating them to the luxury of running water, food for every meal and a bed to sleep in.  After the novelty of that wore off, they tagged along, played in the yard and stole my toys from me.  :)  In short, they were just my brothers.


We grew up in a small town and I'm sure adoption wasn't as common then as it is now.  We learned that when people asked us about Kevin or Michael, it was because they were curious.  Curious about adoption; curious about our new brothers; curious about a family that had so many children! 

aren't old family photos the best?!?!
(p.s. meg is missing from this photo because she was traveling the world)


And so, I grew up thinking adoption was normal and thinking that one day, I'd like to do it myself.  
Thanks Mom and Dad!  


1 comment:

Jessica said...

This blog is so special! Thanks for sharing your family's beautiful story!