8.01.2008

Painting Project

A few months back, I posted about our new favorite game: corn hole.  Some will look confused when they hear the name (Dad), but I assure you, it's very fun.  Essentially, it's a bean bag toss. I assembled the boards in June for Josh's birthday and have since been working on it's design. The lines weren't clean and the white paint from the design sprayed on blue of the board.   
See below


Enter John & Amy.  They are friends of ours from church and some of the nicest Carolina fans we know.   See, don't they look nice?


John has made 4 boards already this summer and has been perfecting the art of spray paint design.  He offered to help.  He brought a sharp utility knife, the design on contact paper, masking tape and a heavy, brown paper.  


We positioned the design on the lower half of the board.


Peeled away the backing of the contact paper.  Smoothed it out.  And then John showed me the art of cutting out the design.

And lifted it off the paper.

I worked on the other side.


We pulled off the other half of the D.  It was ready to paint!  But not too fast- we had to tape the heavy brown paper down around the blue, so when we sprayed the white paint, it would stay where it was suppose to.


I sprayed at least 4 layers on that bad boy.


Then I slowly peeled off the brown paper, then the white contact paper.  It looked beautiful! There were some areas to touch up.  

But I just took out a paintbrush, some toothpicks and the blue paint.

Just a hazard of the job- blue paint doesn't always stay on the board.  Apparently I had some on my back too- Josh asked how in the world it go there.  Who knows?

Now, both boards and completed and are ready for a game.  Don't they look great?

Thank you John!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The finished product looks GREAT! Glad my hubby was able to help -- looking forward to our ice cream treat :)

AS_Eng said...

beatiful corn hole boards! nicely done!