7.25.2008

Summer Mistreatments

I hate window curtains.  I have no idea how to pick them, how to put them up.  They're annoying.  They can be ugly or old-fashioned.  I just don't get them.  Subsequently, our house has little to no window curtains.  Here's an example.  This is our computer room.  We spend time in here watching DVDs, blogging or paying bills.  There are a few glaring things wrong here, can you find them all?

OK, so let's focus on the windows.  Nice plantation blinds, but blaaah.  No personality, no color, nada.  Let me introduce The Nester.  She's a friend of a friend who has fabulous ideas about decorating and specifically, window treatments.  She affectionately calls them, mistreatments, and has a whole slew of information on her website.  So, I read up, got inspired and go to work!

The treatments I had were from my sister's apartment.  She's moving and gave these to me.  They were too big for my window, so I improvised and used these little safety pins to pin down the excess fabric to the right size.

Then I ironed them to keep the lines crisp.

Then I hung it up.  Well, maybe 'hung' is not the right word. 

I tacked them up.  See?
Also note- I moved the top of the curtains UP about 10 inches to give the room the feeling of height.  Aren't I sneaky?
Here's a look at my handy helpers.  Nester encourages eye balling things for straight lines, etc.  I'm too much of a perfectionist for that.  So I used a level, a pencil for marking the right height, the tacks and for a hammer, my fancy shoe.  

And here's the final picture.  The finished product.  Not bad for 20 minutes, right?  I wonder if Josh will notice. . . 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Nice! They look great!


Raz =)

Anonymous said...

looks terrific!

Darlene said...

WOW...for 20 minutes worth of work those look fabulous...you did some great mistreatments!!

kristi_temple said...

So cute! I love that you hung them upside down with the rods. That's so creative.

Nancy said...

They look great! I like that red.

Are those barn stars I see in the reflection? :)

-Nancy

Lamp Tramp said...

I love them...and you don't like treatments!?! I agree, though, I'm back in "my no window treatments phase". After being in the no treatment phase ". HA!

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

I like these VERY much and may try them in my son's room. Hmmmmmm

Connie said...

20 minutes huh? I bet the shoe took off about 2 minutes trying to find your hammer. Seems mine is always hiding. Great job.
~Connie

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I like them and love the color.

~ Sarah

Bonita said...

Those are great and I love the rod at the bottom! So clever!

Anonymous said...

That looks fantastic. What a great job!!!