1.27.2009

Decluttering the Pantry

I love flylady and her simple ways of making housework manageable. I love the way she declutters an area. 15 minutes on the timer- garbage/recycling containers, Goodwill bin, Move-To-Another-Room bin. Somehow, when I have a timer on me, I'm more motivated. It's like a game in my head.



Don't judge people. It's terrible, I know!



We had a lot of food we forgot was in there! Like. . . 4 boxes of Lipton ice tea that my honey buys me so I can make some good, southern sweet tea. Really? 4 boxes! Yes, really.



I decided to try a trick that's worked with our laundry- labeling!! We'll see how it looks a month from now.



Another lesson learned- I used to keep my "extras" on the top shelf, stacked nicely in the back. This did not work, because I forgot what was there! Now, I've moved my extras to the bottom shelf within my daily view. (I did put the Lipton tea at the top, but showed hubby so he would get a visual reminder and not buy me Lipton tea till 2011).

My friend Betsy and her husband have designed a game around their household chores! Winner gets to pick an activity they do together- so relationship building too. Her husband is so excited about this game that he's going to design a chart just for it! Now, that's what I call a competitive couple! Props to Betsy for figuring out how to motivate her hubby about chores of all things! Anyone else have any ideas/stories of ways to make the mundane into the fun? What should Betsy and her husband call their new game? Hmmm. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to avoid clutter by not acquiring too much "stuff". Easier said than done, of course! We try and remind ourselves that it will cost a fortune to ship white elephants back home.

Betsy, Eric, and Sophia said...

Ahh! Katie! I am so flattered my household chores idea made your blog! Hah! Nice work on the pantry de-cluttering by the way! Very productive post-surgery activity! How are you feeling?

Unknown said...

I love FlyLady!!! I use her all the time. Granted with three kids my house is always a mess. But it's not cluttered. . well ok. the office is but that's another story. Your friends needs to come and teach my hubby how to get motivated with the chores! LOL